6/14/13

Dish & Bowl Bird Feeder

This is a little project that the kids and I whipped up for Mother's Day this year.  It was super easy and the kids had fun helping me make them.

Supply List: 1 plate, 1 bowl, 1 long threaded bolt, 4 washers, 4 nuts, ribbon or twill, silicone glue, drill.
Note: I can't tell you exactly what the long threaded bolt thing is but I found it at Home Depot in the nuts & bolts aisle.  I bought the one that is 12 inches long.

Drill holes in your plate and bowl.  This was easy as long as I had a wood block under them.  I just used a piece of our Giant Jenga Game.

Once you've drilled your holes you can begin assembling your bird feeder.  I started at the bottom.  Thread from the end in this order: 1 nut, 1 washer, bowl, washer, nut.  I started my first nut about 1 or 1.5 inches from the end.  Add a little glue in between your nuts and tighten.

After we had the bowl on we worked on adding the plate.  Working on the other end thread in this order: 1 nut, plate,  2 washers, 1 nut.

Before you tighten everything up you want to add your ribbon or twill between the 2 washers.  I cut a small hole right in the middle of the ribbon and just threaded it onto the bolt between the 2 washers.  Add a little glue and tighten it up.

Allow your glue to dry for a few hours, or a day and then fill your feeder with seed and hang it up.  The Cardinals LOVE this feeder.  I have it hanging right off the back patio and they are always up there eating off it.

Book Suggestion: My kids love National Geographic Kids Bird Guide of North America: The Best Birding Book for Kids.  It's filled with great facts about North American birds and the pictures are outstanding. 

No comments: