2/27/12

Doorway Puppet Theater

I pinned a doorway puppet theater on Pinterest a while back and I had been itching to whip it up for a few weeks now.  It turned out to be a rather easy project.  I used my cheap-o Target sewing machine but you could easily use some iron on hem tape if you're not a sewer. 
Start with a piece of fabric that fits your doorway.  I used an old shower curtain that we didn't need anymore.  I like the fact that it is a little heavier weight than a standard cotton.  You'll also need a tension rod that fits the doorway.  I got mine at Target and it was less than $10.
Cut a big square in your fabric.  Honestly, I eyeballed this part.  Since my material is striped it was easy to get a straight line up the sides.  After you cut your square you will need to fold back the sides of each square about 1/2 an inch and sew all around the square.
Cut some triangles from felt and find some light weight fabric you can use for curtains.
Sew around the edges of your curtains and then sew along the top to attach them to your main fabric.  Sew the triangles on top of the curtains.  I honestly just guestimated on most of my measurements.  Since it's for the kids to play with and I have no intentions of selling these in an etsy shop or anything like that I didn't try to make it perfect.
Hot glue (or sew) some strips of felt with velcro attached to use as curtain tie backs.
Add puppets and enjoy!

The puppet theater has been a HUGE hit around here and my favorite part about it is that when we're done playing I can fold it up all nice and neat and put it on a shelf in the closet.

1 comment:

RozzieLang said...

Love this idea. I have been trying to think of a way to make a simple stage as my daughter is just at the puppets stage. Will definitely be giving this a go - thanks for the tutorial