3/15/11

Cardboard Tube Snake

Since Thursday is St. Patrick's Day this is a great activity you can use to discuss with kids the history of the holiday.  According to legend, St. Patrick chased all the snakes out of Ireland.  This was a fun craft that Cole loves to play with.

Snake Supply List: 1 paper towel roll or 2 toilet paper rolls, paint, hole punch, google eyes, piece of red pipe cleaner, string or ribbon
Start by painting your cardboard tube.  Cole choose to mix black and blue with orange for his snake.
Cut your tube into 6 or 7 smaller pieces.  Cole wanted to try to cut it himself but it was too thick for him to do it independently.
Punch 4 holes on each piece of cardboard roll, 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom.
To connect the piece of tube I used a clothing tagger.  Since I don't anticipate that many people have these laying around I would recommend using string or ribbon to connect your pieces.
Add your eyes and punch a small hole to thread the red pipe cleaner through as a tongue.
Your snake is now ready to slither around the house or outside in the grass!


Book Suggestion: Verdi by Janell Cannon has always been one of our favorites.  Cole's favorite part is when Verdi practices making a figure 8 in the air.  With beautiful vivid pictures and a heartwarming story it is one I consider a must read.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So cute!

Anonymous said...

Such a clever craft. I'll have to look for the book you recommend. I think my crew would enjoy it.

LearningIdeasGradesk-8 said...

Adorable!

Kathleen Richardson said...

I've been browsing through your blog tonight. Found it while looking for ways to use empty paper towel rolls. What great ideas you have and I'll definitely be using them with my two grandsons. I'm ordering some of the books you've suggested, too.

Kathleen

http://corningnystepbystep.blogspot.com