2/8/14

Giant Spool UpCycled into an Outdoor Science Lab

This has to be one of my most favorite outdoor projects that I've completed lately.  I took a giant old spool and upcycled it to create an outdoor science lab and play kitchen for the kids.  To say it's a hit would be the understatement of the year.  


I started with the spool and traced my bowls in pencil and then used a jigsaw to cut out circles so I could recess them down into the spool.  This was very important because it keeps the bowls from tipping over and makes it easier for the kids to mix stuff up.

Next, I gathered my ingriendents.  I must say that I absolutely LOVE the Method brand pump bottles that their dish soap and laundry soap comes in.  I've been saving them up for this project for a while now.  I love them because they are so easy for little hands to pump.  Kiley was only 3 when I set this up in the backyard and she was able to use the pump bottles without any problem.  I filled them with colored water, vinegar, oil and soap.

Gather up some equipment.  My kids were adamant about needing safety goggles.  I found a ton of little buckets, and bowls, and test tube type things in the Dollar Spot at Target.



8 comments:

thekeeperofcheerios said...

How fun! We have a ton of these spools and i have been wanting to turn one into a kids craft table. This is such a cool idea I might have to do something like this with it! Thank you for sharing, now following you
Sheena @ http://thekeeperofcheerios.blogspot.com/

Margo said...

What a great idea for your table!

Laurie said...

I love this project! Thanks for linking up to Tip Me Tuesday linky party this week. {knuckle bumps}

Did you know that I can "lend" your blog posts my Google page rank for better search engine traffic? {fabulous}

If you upload at least 2 images, 2 steps, and blog post URL into your Tip Junkie craft room, you'll be in business!

{wink} ~ Laurie {a.k.a. the Tip Junkie}
http://www.tipjunkie.com/post/how-to-add-a-craft-room-project-on-tip-junkie/

Unknown said...

I love this idea! Where did you find your umbrella?

Shannon said...

Jessie - we got our umbrella at Target. It's just a regular patio umbrella.

Lainy said...

My kids need this!! THANKS for sharing :) Where can I find a giant spool??

Christine at Little Brags said...

Hi Shannon, I am currently working on a blog post about spool tables and how we can use them in Décor. Was wondering if you would let me use your gorgeous spool table pic with a link back to you naturally??? Christine from Little Brags

Shannon said...

Christine - that would be fine!