3/28/11

Toilet Paper Roll Lantern

 Lantern Supply List: 1 toilet paper roll, paint, hole punch, glue, ribbon or string, tissue paper, utility knife
 Paint your toilet paper roll and allow to dry.
Using your utility knife cut slits around the toilet paper roll.
Squeeze your toilet paper roll so that the cut pieces bend outward.  Use your hole punch to put 2 holes in the top of your toilet paper roll.  Add ribbon or string.
Cut your tissue paper into strips.  I let Cole do this part independently so his pieces were jagged and uneven, but he loves cutting and it's his craft, so I don't mind.
Glue your tissue paper around the inside bottom of your toilet paper roll.

Book Suggestion: I love the book Lin Yi's Lantern because not only does it show children a glimpse into Chinese culture and market life, but more importantly to me, it shows how making unselfish choices in life will be rewarded.  This is a great book that prompted some wonderful discussions in our home.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This looks fun, and easy too. I have a couple of kids that just might enjoy it :D Thanks for a great idea.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read Lin Yi's Lantern. My Little M will love making lanterns.

Tami said...

Just stopping by to let you know that I've featured your craft on Family Fun Crafts! You can see it here:
http://funfamilycrafts.com/cardboard-tube-lanterns/

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I'd love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.